Notes first published November 25, 2020
Update available from November 25, 2020
We’ve been working hard getting version 6.7 of Smartabase ready for you to use. This release includes more ways to give the right people relevant information, new options to encourage good password habits and user experience improvements. Here’s a short list of what’s new:
- Restrict the use of form components to people with specific roles.
- Re-styled notifications for the Smartabase web app.
- The login screen automatically reloads after logout.
Prevent editing of selected fields and sections
In this example we’re looking at an event form used to collect a brief summary of a new injury. We’ve assigned a restriction policy called Physio Policy to the Physio Details section of the form, which means only people with a role that includes this policy will be able to edit the fields in this section.
The policy would be assigned to a role for physiotherapists, so the athlete and other staff members couldn’t update this section of the form. A similar restriction policy could be set up for a coaching role, so only coaches could edit the Coach Details section.
Quickly view and dismiss system notifications
System notifications commonly appear when you complete an action or an error occurs when you’re using Smartabase in your browser. We received feedback that system notifications sometimes interfered with navigating through Smartabase, and it wasn’t clear that clicking on a notification would close it.
As part of this release, we’ve moved system notifications to the bottom right-hand corner of the screen, which keeps the rest of your screen clear to use other Smartabase tools. We’ve also added a close icon to the notification box, so it’s even easier to dismiss the message once you’ve seen it.
We’ve also added the ability to customize the message duration. If you’d like to change the default notification duration time on your site, please get in touch with your Smartabase consultant.
Come back to Smartabase more easily
Like the enhancements to system notifications, this update focused on improving the look and feel of Smartabase. Now when you log out of your account you will be automatically taken back to the log-in screen, instead of having to click to reload the page.
General improvements and bug fixes
- All Smartabase notification emails (such as password resets, performance alerts, daily reminders and more) now come from email@example.com. We made this change to reduce unnecessary responses to our support email and to encourage members of your organization to reach out to you for support that’s specific to your Smartabase site.
- We’ve increased our support for people using Smartabase in Simplified Chinese, Dutch, French, German, Spanish and Korean. More of the Smartabase elements that you interact with have been professionally translated. Please remember that anything you build or set up in Smartabase yourself (such as event form names, dashboard instructions or performance alert messages) needs to be translated separately from the default Smartabase labels. You can get in touch with your lead Smartabase consultant to assist with this process.
- We’ve made improvements to Smartabase’s queuing system to decrease the processing time when historical calculations are used.
- We’ve removed an obsolete site theming tool from the builder interface. The ability to adjust your Smartabase site’s default colors, styling, log-in screen images and logos has been entirely built into the application details tool for several years now. Please contact your lead consultant if any changes are needed to your site’s appearance.
- We’ve reinstated the ability to delete individual database records from the builder interface.
- We’ve updated the Related event pull through form advanced property so it’s always visible in the advanced property list. It’s no longer dependent on the Enable related events form advanced property being set to True. This change means that it’s easier to auto-populate event forms that are set up as embedded events.
- We’ve resolved an issue that prevented the Show all tick box for tables in forms from working correctly. When a table has the Optionally hide rows property set to Yes, the Show all tick box lets people choose whether to display all rows or the two most recently entered rows.
- We fixed an issue where the lastvalue aggregation type in table calculations was ignoring the last table row if it had a blank value. You can still use the lastenteredvalue to find the last non-blank value in a table field.
- We’ve updated the data specification tool to display the correct details for any database fields in event and profile forms.
- We’ve fixed an issue that prevented option calculations using the dateformat function and day of week parameter (“DDDD”) from working correctly. An option calculation that has each day of the week in the option list and uses the following formula: dateformat(Event Date, “DDDD”) will now return the day of the week (Monday, Tuesday, etc) corresponding with the date of the record.
- We identified an issue when referencing time zones in dateformat functions, which resulted in New Zealand Standard Time showing up regardless of the viewer’s actual time zone. Using ‘ZZ’ in a dateformat calculation will return the correct time zone.
Highlights from your last Smartabase release notes
In the last release notes, for Smartabase version 6.6, we announced:
- The ability to reference more information from Smartabase accounts in event and profile forms.
- The ability to export and import dashboards created using the dashboard builder.
- Improved support for using Smartabase in three new languages: Dutch, Spanish and French.
If you missed those release notes, you can read them here.