This article relates to the (older) Smartabase mobile application. If you are using the Smartabase Athlete app, please refer to the documentation here.
The Smartabase Classic mobile application has largely been replaced by newer mobile apps but it is still used for some people and situations. The app supports people entering data about themselves and other people in groups they have access to. We recommend using this app if you need to book appointments or use Embedded event workflows on mobile as these are not yet supported on the newer apps.
When using the Smartabase Classic app for the first time, it may take extra time to load. This is because the app downloads, encrypts and stores the event forms and data that are enabled for your use.
You can use the Smartabase Classic app offline but keeping your data up-to-date on your site requires synchronization. To do this, you can log in online using the device after it has been used in offline mode.
To install the Smartabase Classic app, follow the steps below:
- Open the Apple Store or Google Play Store on your mobile device and search for Smartabase Classic.
- Follow the prompts to install the Smartabase Classic app.
- Open the app and view the login screen.
- Enter your site location (for example, https://learn.smartabase.com/education).
- Enter your username and password.
- Select Login online.
If you have any issues, please check our Frequently Asked Questions.
Setting a PIN
The most secure way to access Smartabase is to use your username and password, as this information is not stored locally on your device. However, setting up PIN access can provide a quick and convenient alternative. This is especially true if you need to access the app often. The Smartabase Classic app gives you the option to set up PIN access, but please be sure to consider the following risks.
The use of a PIN requires your mobile device to store an encrypted version of your credentials locally. This means that there may be a higher risk of your account and data being compromised if you were to lose your phone.
The encryption key used to protect your PIN is stored locally using the strongest known method available for your phone’s operating system. For iOS devices, this is not an issue. However, due to the limitations of certain Android operating systems, the encryption method may pose a higher risk of unauthorized access to your data should you lose your phone. If you are using an Android phone, it is recommended that you update to the latest operating system available in order to reduce your risk. Android 6.0 and higher (API 23+) is preferred.
- Android 6.0 and higher (API 23+) use Android Keystore which is considered best practice for local data.
- Android 5.1 and below (API 16-22) use Facebook Conceal to store the encryption key in your application’s data.
Athletes are able to set up a mobile device PIN for their Smartabase account. If you are a coach, the PIN option is not available to you.
Steps to set up a PIN
- Open the Smartabase Classic mobile app and choose the Login Online option.
- Tap the Account button to access your user account page.
- In the Account page, scroll to the bottom and select Set PIN.
- A digit selector will appear for you to set a four-digit PIN. You must type this PIN twice to confirm. If you mistype your confirmation you will be asked to type your PIN again.
- Once you have confirmed your PIN tap Save in the bottom corner.
- You must type your account password to complete setup of the PIN.
- The next time you log in using either online or offline mode, you can use your PIN instead.
Note that this PIN is specific to each device, so you cannot use a new device with the PIN until you set up a PIN on that device.
Multiple athletes are able to use the same device to log in to Smartabase using a PIN, but each must set a PIN using the above method.
Alternatives to the Smartabase Classic mobile app
To reduce the amount of loading time required, the Smartabase Classic mobile app has a reduced set of features. If you need it, most current Apple iOS and Android devices can load the full version of Smartabase from their browser.
If you want to use Smartabase from your device’s browser, you can also choose to append m.html to the end of the site URL to load the mobile version of your Smartabase site (which is functionally very similar to the mobile app). So the URL you enter into your phone’s browser would look something like this:
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I update my Smartabase account details on the Smartabase Classic app?
- Log into the Smartabase Classic app.
- Select the Account button on the home page.
- Update your details. If you want to change your password, type your new password into both password fields
- Click the Save button.
- When prompted, confirm your account changes using your original password (the one you signed in with).
I forgot my password; how do I reset it on the Smartabase Classic app?
- Use a web browser on a phone or computer to access your Smartabase site (e.g. https://SERVERNAME.smartabase.com/SITENAME).
- On the login page, enter your username or email address and select Next.
- Select the Forgot password link.
- Enter your email address, then click the button to send a password reset link.
- Check your inbox for an email from email@example.com with a link to reset your password. If you don't see the email in your inbox within a couple of minutes, check your spam folder as well.
- Click on the link and create a new password.
- Delete the Smartabase Classic app from your phone. If you have an Android device, you should also delete the Smartabase Classic app data from the phone's settings.
- Reinstall the Smartabase Classic app and login with your new password.
If you are still having issues, contact your organizations' Smartabase administrator.
Why isn't data from my phone showing up in the browser?
If you logged into the Smartabase Classic app offline, data entered and saved through the app will be saved locally to your mobile device and will not appear in Smartabase Online.
To sync locally stored data to Smartabase, you need to log into the app on your device by selecting the Login Online button on the login page. This will sync any locally stored data to Smartabase.
How do I change the group I'm looking at?
- Log into the Smartabase Classic mobile app.
- Select the Current Athlete List button on the home page.
- Select the group or sub-group you want to load.
Why can't I see the option to add a PIN on the Account page?
Only athletes can set a PIN for the Smartabase Classic mobile app. If you are an athlete and are unable to see the PIN option on the Account page, please speak to your organization's Smartabase administrator.