The Categories tool is used to create the categories within which a site’s resources are organized. Each category has a single data permission associated with it, which, when assigned, means that the user may:
- View the contents of this category in resources (in conjunction with the Resources system permission).
- Upload files to this category (when the Resource Upload system permission is enabled).
This ensures that only people with a role that has access to a category can view the resources within a category.
In most cases, you should set the category Type as Resources. However, if the category type is set to External Videos, access to this category allows a user to view externally-hosted video content.
Note that categories created by an administrator have no functional relationship with form categories.
Steps to create a new category
- Log in to the administration interface.
- Select the Categories tool.
- Enter a Name for the category.
- Specify the category Type.
- Add any sub-categories.
- Click Save.
If setting sub-categories, you cannot use existing categories as sub-categories. Also keep in mind that access to sub-categories is controlled by the category data permission; someone with access to a category will also be able to access any resources saved against its sub-category.