Grouping is an important Smartabase function that helps you control who has access to which people's information. Groups are created by a Smartabase administrator using the groups tool. You can search groups by their name or their description using the options in the collapsible sidebar.
The Groups tool allows you to group people for data entry, notification, reporting and planning purposes. People can be grouped, for example, by sporting discipline, class, year, age, gender, or team.
The names, members and other properties of the groups that are used on a Smartabase site should be decided according to your organization's needs.
A group is made up of coach and athlete members. People can be coaches and athletes within multiple different groups.
- As a coach of a group, someone will have access to enter and view information for any athlete members within that group, depending on their role permissions. They cannot see data about themselves or any other coaches of that group.
- As an athlete in a group, someone will have access to enter and view information for themselves only, depending on their role permissions. They will not be able to see anything related to the other members of the group.
- In some circumstances, someone may be a coach of one group but an athlete in another. In this situation the normal behavior applies based on which group they have loaded:
- If they load the group that they're a coach of, they'll be able to see information for everyone in that group.
- If they load the group they're an athlete in, they'll only have access to their own information
Groups must be assigned cautiously. It is important to ensure that people are allocated to the correct group and have the appropriate level of access to the group (either as a coach or athlete).
Groups can have sub-groups and parent groups. A group can only have one parent group but it can have as many sub-groups as necessary.
To add a person to a group, you can type their name into the relevant search bar and select the account from the drop-down list. Use the Add coach or Add athlete button to confirm the selection. Alternatively, select the Add multiple people button in the relevant section. This will open a sidebar on the right-hand side of the page.
The People tab shows all of the user accounts that exist on the site. The number of entries displayed can be altered with the pagination drop-down menu below the table. Tick the accounts to be added to the group, or select the plus ( + ) icon at the top of the sidebar to filter the data.
In the Filter pop-up window, select the account detail to filter the results by, then click the Select button. The results can be filtered by first name, middle names, last name, username, known as, email address, UUID, language or whether the user account is active. After selecting a field, the filter will appear above the table. Enter the filtering conditions and then select the Search button or click the Enter key. You can add more filtering conditions by selecting the plus ( + ) icon again. Use the Remove button to delete a filtering condition or select the Reset button to remove all filtering conditions.
In the example above, we have added a filter to only show user accounts where the first name field contains “Emma.” If we wanted to add only Emma Williams as a coach of the group, we would tick the box next to her name and then select the Add coaches to group button. To add both Emma Williams and Emma Delaney as coaches, we could either:
- Click Select all 2 people.
- Tick the box in the header row of the table.
- Tick the box next to both of their names.
To confirm the selection, select the Add coaches to group button.
Selections will be retained while the sidebar remains open, even if the filtering conditions are changed. If we wanted to add two coaches (Emma Williams and Finn O’Mahoney, shown in the example below) to the group, we could perform the steps above to select Emma Williams, then change the filtering condition to search for “Finn” in the first name and select the correct account. To confirm your selections, switch to the Selected tab. You can add the coaches to the group from either the People or Selected tabs.
Steps to create a new group
- Log in to the administration interface.
- Select the Groups tool.
- Select the Create new group button from the top of the page.
- Name your new group.
- Provide a description of the group, if necessary.
- Save the new group.
- If there is a parent group, type its name into the Parent group field and Save this setting.
- Add the people who should have access to this group to the Coaching staff list.
- Add the people who should be members of this group to the Athletes list.
- If any sub-groups should be included within this group, add those groups to the Subgroups list.
- Save the group settings.