The Smartabase Kiosk app gives members of your organization another access point for Smartabase. With the Kiosk app, people can quickly and easily use a shared device to record non-sensitive data, like gym attendance, training availability or session details. To successfully use the Smartabase Kiosk app in your organization, you need to make certain preparations within your Smartabase site:
- Create a user account for exclusive use with the Kiosk app.
- Set up a role tailored specifically for use by Kiosk accounts.
- Choose and enable event forms for Kiosk data entry.
You’ll need administrator access to be able to create a user account and role for use by your Kiosk installation and builder access to enable the event forms that you want people to access from the Kiosk app.
Create a user account for the Kiosk app
For people to use the Kiosk app, a nominated and trusted member of your organization needs to first sign in with a Kiosk app user account. Once they’ve signed in with the Kiosk app account, they’ll be able to set up the Kiosk app for use by your athletes, students, warfighters or similar. You can read more about how to set up and use the Kiosk app in the guides to logging in and using the Kiosk app.
This Kiosk account needs to be created and customized by a Smartabase administrator using the people tool. For a Kiosk app account you must also ensure that:
- The user account is only used for kiosk purposes.
- The account should not be a personal account and should have an email address controlled by your organization.
- The account is not added as an athlete, student or any other type of group member.
- The account is added to the coach or staff list for any groups of people who should be using the Kiosk app to enter data.
- A Kiosk app-specific role is the only role assigned to the account.
Your organization can create multiple Kiosk app accounts, but they must all meet the above criteria. Additionally, the staff member responsible for setting up the Kiosk app needs to ensure the appropriate Kiosk app account is signed in for each device or the relevant time of day.
Create a role for the Kiosk app
The Kiosk app depends on the creation of a role tailored for its use. As an administrator, you can use the roles tool to create a new role for the Kiosk app account. A Kiosk app role needs to meet the following criteria:
- The role is applied to Kiosk app accounts only.
- It must contain three specific system permissions and no other system permissions. These are:
- Enter data for athlete
Do not include any other system permissions as they are not supported by the Kiosk app.
- For each event form that should be entered using the Kiosk app, the role must contain the relevant Write data permission. It is not necessary to include Read or Linked data permissions for event forms that should be entered from the Kiosk app because these abilities are inherited from the Write permission for the event form. Do not include Delete or Calendar data permissions as these abilities are not supported by the Kiosk app.
Your organization can create multiple roles for use with the Kiosk app, but they must all meet the above criteria. You might choose to do this if, for example, you wanted to use the Kiosk app on several devices as follows:
- In the reception area of your training facility, to record attendance. In this case, a Kiosk app role would include data permission for a sign in/sign out form. It would not include data permissions for forms relating to activities undertaken elsewhere in your organization, because the person responsible for overseeing who enters and exits the training facility doesn’t need access to those other event forms.
- In the weights gym, to record weigh in/weigh out information and strength training data. In this location, a Kiosk app role would need data permissions for the weight and training forms, but not for the attendance form as that data should have already been collected using the kiosk at reception. Likewise, the Kiosk app role for the weights gym wouldn’t include data permission for the forms used in the dining hall.
- In the dining hall, to record ratings and feedback about the daily meal choices. In this situation, a Kiosk app role would need data permission for the dining feedback form. Attendance data permission wouldn’t be necessary because, again, this information is collected elsewhere. Data permissions for the event forms relevant to activities in the weights gym would also be excluded from the data entry choices in the dining hall, as they’re not relevant to the account owner for the dining hall data.
For each event form that you want to be available from the Kiosk app, you must set the Availability property to All platforms. If this property isn’t set, the event form won’t appear in the Kiosk app, even if you’ve added its data permission to a Kiosk app role.
Because the Kiosk app has been carefully designed and tested to display event forms in a clear and consistent way, we highly recommend that you remove any CSS or HTML that might have been added to the instruction area within any event form that you enable for Kiosk app use. This includes code snippets within the form, section and field instructions. If you have CSS or HTML in an event form which alters an event form’s appearance or function in a way that isn’t compatible with the Kiosk app, please reach out to your Smartabase consultant for assistance.