Static informational content can be added to canvases, sections and all widgets via the instructions property. Like the content widget, the instructions property allows you to add text and images that are not captured in an event form. Unlike the content widget, which is ideal for stand-alone information, the instructions property is suitable for providing context and additional information about the dashboard component where it’s used. For example, you could use the instructions for a tile widget to explain the data shown by the tile or, where a section contains multiple widgets showing test results, use the section instructions to describe the testing protocol.
Within the instructions content editor, you can adjust the text size, style, color and alignment as well as add bullet points or numbered lists. To supplement your written content, add links, tables, images, block quotes and horizontal rules.
Use the sidebar to configure the instructions
Use the instructions properties in the sidebar to add descriptive information to any canvas, section, or widget. Use the Edit Instructions button to open the content editor.
Within the content editor, you can:
- Adjust the font size of selected text.
- Enable bold, italic, underline or
strike-throughtext formatting for selected text.
- Specify a font color for the selected text. The options here are the same as elsewhere in the dashboard builder. You can select from the color space and adjust the transparency or enter a colour as a hexadecimal code.
- Choose the text alignment of the selected paragraph.
- Create a bullet point list of items.
- Create a numbered list of items.
- Link the selected text. When you choose this option, you’ll be prompted to enter a URL for the selected text to link to.
- Add an image. To display an image within the content widget, the image file must first be stored as a resource. Then, enter the resource name.
- Add a table. When you add a table, a sub-menu appears for table editing options. You can use these tools to add and remove, merge and separate, or color the background of rows and columns.
- Format the selected text as a block quote.
- Add a horizontal rule.
- Undo your most recent action.
- Redo the most recent action you undid.
- Clear the formatting for the selected text.