The Polar Open AccessLink API provides a direct link between Smartabase and the training and daily activity data recorded by Polar devices. Devices like Polar Flow and Polar Beat can collect heart rate data which can be combined with other performance metrics being measured for a more holistic view of readiness to perform. This information can then be utilized by high performance staff to assist in decision making to optimize performance.
Setting up your Smartabase site to integrate with Polar Open AccessLink
What we need from you
Not much! Once you’ve confirmed you’d like to go ahead with the integration, your Smartabase consultant will organize for it to be set up for you.
What Smartabase will do
- Universally unique identifications (UUIDs) must be enabled for your Smartabase site. This is a setting in your site Application details, which can only be changed by your Smartabase consultant.
- Your Smartabase consultant will add the following event forms and profile forms to your site. The event forms will connect with and store all data from Polar devices, and the profile forms are used for account mapping between the two systems. You can work with your Smartabase consultant to ensure the appropriate roles have access to view this information, as well as any dashboards set up to visualize the data.
- Polar Activity event form
- Polar Training event form
- Polar Sleep event form
- Polar Nightly Recharge event form
- Polar Auth Portal profile form*
- Polar Access Token profile form
*The Polar Auth Portal profile form is only required if people are going to use Smartabase Online (i.e. via web browser) to authorize linking their accounts. If using the Smartabase Athlete app only, this profile form is not required.
Please speak to your Smartabase consultant before adding any new fields to the above event and profile forms as this may have unintended consequences.
The sync interval between Polar Open AccessLink and Smartabase is variable. It is recommended that the interval is set to at least 60 minutes. Each site has a short and long term sync interval limit which is dependent on the number of user accounts on the site. The connector will search for any newly-authorized athletes every two hours, after which their data will be synced as normal.
How are people’s accounts mapped between Polar Open AccessLink and Smartabase?
Each person has to authorize Smartabase to access their Polar data via Smartabase Online (i.e. web browser) or the Smartabase Athlete app (available from version 1.32.3). Note that this process must only be completed after the connector is fully set up.
Steps for people to authorize Polar integration via Smartabase Online (web browser)
Athletes will need to complete the following steps:
- Log into Smartabase Online (e.g. using Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox) using their own credentials. This process must be completed with the person logged into their own account, not via a coach’s account.
- Go to the Profiles page.
- Select the Polar Auth Portal profile form from the drop-down menu.
- Click the Authorisation link button and follow the prompts to enter their Polar account details.
Once this process is complete, the athlete’s Smartabase account will be authorized to connect to their Polar data. No further mapping is required.
Steps for people to authorize Polar integration via the Smartabase Athlete app
- Log into the Smartabase Athlete app using their own credentials. Ensure the latest version of the app is loaded.
- Follow the prompts to set up Connected apps and select Polar. If this step is skipped, they can do it after logging in by navigating to the app Settings > Connected apps > Polar.
- Select Set up. This will redirect the person to a separate web page within the app where they can enter their Polar account credentials.
- Once this process is completed, the person’s Smartabase account will be authorized to connect to their Polar account. No further mapping is required.
Revoking the integration between Polar and Smartabase
To revoke access to the Polar account, go to the app Settings > Connected apps > Polar and use the toggle to disable the connection.